Love One Another { A Valentine Pillow }

valentine pillow

Valentine Pillow

“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.” John 13:34
I am so eager to share the new Valentine’s pillow  that I made!  Not only do I love it’s simplicity, but the message behind it has been weighing on my heart for some time now.

If you want to skip on down to the craft…that is ok!

Next week will be one year since my Dad has passed and I am feeling a dozen emotions all at once! These last twelve months I have felt like I was anywhere from six years old to in my fifties! At the end of some days I would think about all I had done that day… potty training my toddler, homework with my second grader, meeting with attorneys, closing two businesses while running my own, blogging, and at the same time feeling like I just wanted my daddy.  All of those things can really make a girl’s head spin!

By far, the most difficult thing I had to deal with was the realization that I couldn’t fix this and I am such a fixer and family peacemaker!  I couldn’t take anyone’s pain away, I couldn’t bring him back, and I just couldn’t make peace out of this.  Whatever pretend control I thought I had was thrown out the window on a daily basis!

In God’s wonderful way and in His own timing, I began to hear… just love one another
Don’t fix … just love!
Duh!  It was just a quiet whisper at first, but then that verse just kept popping into my head!  I’m learning how to let go of the fixin’, but it is slow work for this old gal!  This pillow will sit out as a great reminder of what we are called to do.
Now…. back to the craft!
This was such an easy pillow to make and I just love how it turned out!  I cut out fabric to make a 16×16 pillow with an envelope closure (Creative Maven has a great tutorial if you are looking for one).  Then I created a stencil on my Cricut.  I cut it out on freezer paper and ironed it on my pillow front and got to painting!  I used acrylic paint mixed with a fabric medium to paint on the pillow.
I love using freezer paper stenciling, you don’t even have to paint in the lines!  After the paint dried I lifted off the freezer paper, ironed, and sewed my pillow together.  That’s all!  Super easy!
Thanks for listening today!  Y’all are the best!

Comments

You sound just like me. My mom passed away Sept. ’09 and like you I am a fixer. I have taken over the role as mother and grandmother. I have finally realized I can’t do it all. I know I can’t take her place but I feel like it is what I am supposed to do. Hang in there. I won’t tell you it will get easier – but tolerable. Hugs

This is adorable! You could totally leave this pillow out all year, I would!! :) Thanks so much for linking up to Sassy Sites for our free for all party. Be sure to join us tomorrow morning for some shout outs! Have a wonderful weekend!

XOXO!
    Marni

Great post and beautiful pillow. I struggle with things I can’t control or “fix” too…I’m so sorry for your loss. Blessings and hugs. Thanks for sharing this at Shine on Fridays.

Oh, I adore this!!! :) I just found your blog over at Shabby Love and I am your newest follower! I can’t wait to read more! Have a wonderful day!
    Crystal
    Homemaker in Heels

You have such a cute blog. I found you on the link party. I am your newest follower. :) If you would like to check out my blog that would be awesome and follow me back..I would love to feature you on my blog sometime, you have way cute stuff..

-Brooke
    for-the-luv-of.blogspot.com

I love everything about this post. My dad died just over four years ago, and I know that the first year was incredibly hard. I love that you really listened to God’s voice and made yourself a little reminder.

Thanks for sharing at Simply Klassic Home

I don’t think one ever get over losing their parents. Both of mine are gone, my Mom passed over 17 years ago. I can honestly say you never not missed them. I have never found a friend that was what my Mom was to me. I so miss her every day. But I love the verse, just love them, so simple yet so true. I do love you pillow with the big red heart. Thanks for showing us how. Thanks for sharing you creative inspiration with Sunday’s Best Par.tay!

Nice! I love the use of the heart for this. We’re so glad you linked up to our “Strut Your Stuff Saturday”. We loved having you!! Please come back next Saturday and share more of your great recipes! -The Sisters

I love the look of the finished pillow, plus I’ve been researching fabric painting techniques and mixing acrylic paint with fabric medium is something I’m yet to try. Thanks for the inspiration!

I found this post through the Tuesday Talent Show at Chef in Training.

I seriously love this pillow! I’m going to feature it tomorrow for my Feature Friday post. I would love if you stopped by and grabbed a “Featured” button!!

XO! Kathryn
    destinationcraft.blogspot.com

I adore this pillow, and what it represents! Thanks for sharing at Craft Monkey’n Monday! I pinned it & shared it at The Craft Monkey FB Page!

I wanted to express my sadness for the loss of your dad. And the message on your pillow is truly a beautiful message to his memory and for us to remember each and every day …

So very happy that you linked up to our Pillopalooza slumber party!
    Linda

14. jennifer says

THANK YOU! My Daddy passed away a year ago the second week of December….you basically took the words right outta my head! I am making this pillow and it too will be a reminder to me! JUST LOVE!! Our Daddys are feelin PERFECT LOVE right now!! 😉 j

This pillow is gorgeous (definitely copy-catting!), and the story is even more beautiful. God bless you for sharing it, and may the peace of the Lord be with you always! XO, Barbara at Chase the Star

This is such an adorable project. I would have never guessed that it was painted on. Thanks so much for the tutorial. I’m pinning it for later.