An Upcycled American Girl Doll Bed for My Girls

My girls are totally in to American Girl dolls and their faux friends.  Santa brought La La an 18″ Madame Alexander Favorite Friends doll { seriously cheaper than AG and for my four year old who I fully anticipate giving her a haircut or amputating some of her limbs } and she loves it.  I really wanted to get a set of doll bunk beds for them, but the only bed that didn’t cost more than my entire wardrobe has been sold out since November. Argh!
Imagine finding this little beauty…

Ok.. little beauty may be a stretch, but this was sitting in the back of my favorite thrift shop here in town.
Guess how much they wanted for it?
$2… Two Whole Dollars! I walked that little goodie right up to the counter and bought her!  { Ok… I called Bonnie and bragged first, and then bought it }

She got a really good cleaning and I sanded down the little bunnies { sorry all of you 1960 ugly bunny fans… they had to go }.  I tightened her screws and she was ready for paint!  I used  Valspar’s spray paint in exotic sea and it turned out so bright and cheery.  The girls and I were falling in love already!

The bed didn’t come with any bedding, so we headed to the fabric store.  We picked up a 20 x 20 foam square from Hancock Fabrics and cut it to fit.  This was so much easier than I thought it was going to be!

I used the girl’s favorite fabric out of my stash… a pink floral from Heather Bailey.  I simply wrapped the mattresses like a present and hot glued the edges down.  Again… super easy.

The last thing that the beds needed was a frilly pillow.  I sewed a couple of ruffled pillows and she was done!

I have two very happy girls and their dolls have one beautiful place to sleep!

Have you scored any good thrift store finds lately?

* Trish

Comments

That’s an awesome find Trish! I love the colors you chose and the fabric is just beautiful! I bet your girls are thrilled! I love thrifting too! I was able to pick up pretty white hobnail vase for $2.00, and a 1950’s irridecent flower vase for .25 :) Love to put flowers in them for my tablescape….
    Torri

What a great find! Your girls will love this. I have many fond memories of the doll bed that I had as a little girl.

Found you at the blog hop and I’m your newest follower.

Thanks for the inspiration!
    Kate

This is so cute! I wish I had a daughter to make one for. The mattress cover is simply delightful!

Amy {aprons & ambition}

You are so lucky to have found that bed. I know I am going to end up making my own because I can’t give and pay what the stores want. If you need some clothes patterns stop by my blog for some ideas – I won’t pay those prices either:)

You did an awesome job. It looks sooo much better!

I’ve done a small bed for my dog out of a side table. She doesn’t actually use it, but it was a cute idea (it’s on my blog). Anyway, now that I have a new little girl, I see it being used as a doll bed a in a few years.

Great find and the end results are adorable! Hot glue — who would have thought!? The pillows are so cute. I would love it if you would consider linking to Busy Monday at A Pinch of Joy, a Sunday through Thursday link party for ideas that make life easier, better and more fun!

Trish!
    That is so stinkin’ cute! I love the fabrics you chose as well! AmaziI would love if you stopped by my Creative Inspirations Party to link up!
    I would love to have you there!
    The party is happening now!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

Stinkin’ cute!
    My Ana would love those beds!
    I am so glad you came by to link up to the party at Embracing Change!
    Please come back this week again! I would love to have you there!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

What a great find!
    We also felt AG beds were too expensive….
    If you like the American Girl Dolls, you’ll love the website that I’ve made with my 9-year-old daughter!
    We’ve made American Girl Doll Beds from scratch!

10. Alexa (Kat Biggie) says

Oh I love this! love this! Love this! I can’t believe it took me this long since BBC Charlotte to get around to following your page, but i love it and I am now subscribed!